Winialkyn: Kimberley Day 6 - scenic cruise, "The Colosseum", swim and loud shirt pizza party

25th June 2026

Fantastical rocks at the Colosseum

After a satisfactory night's sleep, I woke about 6:00 and engaged in my usual routine of coffee in bed, courtesy of my own preparations the night before and the foresight to bring a an insulated drink bottle that keeps the coffee warm overnight. I read a little more of my book; I am very much enjoying A Gentleman in Moscow. Then I showered and  presented myself for breakfast around 7:00 

After breakfast I went out onto the side deck and watched Leeuwin attempting to dissect a Spanish mackerel's head to find the otoliths (earbones).
 
As he discarded a fairly sizable unwanted chunk over the side, a shark came up to seize it and then jumped out of the water as it tried to worry a bite-sized piece off it. 

Then it was getting ready for the morning's activity. I have chosen the tender scenic tour as opposed to the longer and more difficult artwork. It was a not an easy decision as I would have liked to do both.   The scenic in the tender did offer a rare opportunity to view some rock art from the water.

Kangaroo - artwork by our first nations people

Lovely Kimberley rocks

More lovely Kimberley rocks

Kimberley rock spam continued

And wait, there's more


The scenic in the tender was rather lovely. We saw Ospreys, including their nest. We saw a Brahminy Kite with its white belly and red flashes. We saw a pair of white oyster catchers and a lovely white egret and all sorts of crazy rock formations.
 
These little pillars and caves were a bit different

Once again, the billions of years of erosion had created haphazard piles that looks as if they were teetering and certainly had precarious balance.

Precarious balance
 
I did manage to photograph a mangrove flower apparently of the species which is first to flower. The Kimberley we are told has 17 species of mangrove. 

Mangrove 

The second morning excursion was to the Colosseum. As always, those with more challenged mobility had as much assistance as was needed getting into and out of the tenders.


The most amazing collection of eroded sandstone towers and caves that created an absolute maze with marvellous shapes to tempt the imagination. 


A bat flitted across my line of vision a couple of times, and another passenger reported microbats.  Not overly surprising given the caverns.











Not sure why this image made me think of MONA



Lunch included a wonderful fish cerviche, which fortunately appeared not to appeal to everyone. I requested that I may have that for dinner in lieu of the pizzas that are on the menu. While they are prepared to make me an appropriate pizza, I suspect that there will not be a lot that they can put on it that I can eat.  Subsequently my choice appeared an excellent one

After lunch we headed for a swim. Initially a freshwater swim was scheduled but this was changed to a tidal pool swim which was rather lovely. 

Saltwater rockpool swim - Jasmine's phone

I took my mask and snorkel. Another lady had her swim goggles and we enjoyed looking what the pool had to offer by way of schools of juvenile fish and the molluscs on the rocks.

Chiton on the rocks (Jasmine's photo)

As I was getting out I bent down to look at what appeared to be two small coral  encrustaceans and noticed that they had antennae and were moving. They are Mangrove slugs, a variety of sea slug and the ladder I had already identified, but that was a bit exciting. 

Mangrove slugs (Jasmine's photo)

There were a few shells to be spotted on the beach as we on the way to/ from this excursion.

Cone shell


Back on the boat I showered and dressed already for bright shirt night choosing to wear one of my bright summer dresses rather than a borrowed shirt. 

The party tonight is on the upper deck and I have my usual little pre dinner drink - prepared soda water from the bar with a splash of my Bright Night gin. 

Drinks and dinner: watching the sunset colours is rather lovely and the chef has sent up a bowl of the fish cerviche with additional coriander, capsicum and cherry tomatoes which is rather lovely.

Party lights and sunset  - Jasmine's photo

Barmaid Debbie's offer to me of a third glass of wine is declined, despite her offered incentive that she will escort me to my cabin if needed, an offer that elicited great hilarity around the thought that there are others on board that would take that up. 

The evenings festivities started early and finished likewise and I was headed to my cabin before 8:00, as were many others. 

Jessica's briefing has identified our route for tomorrow along with activities on offer and while I'm not sure I want to be up at 5:30 for the sunrise, I will be up to go crabbing at 7:00 as that is something I've never done before or even seen done. 

Hopefully we do catch some and crab will be on the menu in a couple of days time. 

So it's early to bed with a cup of tea and my book A Gentleman in Moscow.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flying, Friends and Fire alarms

Dinosaurs and their Descendants

King George River: Kimberley Day 3