Prince Regent River: Kimberley Day 8 - King's Cascade, Coronation Falls and a beach excursion with mud crab for afternoon tea
27th June 2026
![]() |
| Approaching Kings Cascade |
After my first cup of coffee, while still in bed and reading a section of a book I have found in the cupboard, I showered to the sound of the anchor being raised and then headed out to watch our progress up the river.
It seems I missed the sunrise and the sharks and when I checked with crew member Scott about the identification of the sharks he said they were too far away to tell. So I don't mind having missed that.
Our first stop was Kings Cascade, with an option of a walk to the top or a scenic tour.
![]() |
| Kings Cascade |
Being slightly in two minds about whether to do the walk to the upper level of the waterfall and the pool for a swim, or the scenic tour in the dinghy, I looked at the photos of the walk and decided I was not uncertain. My legs are not long enough and my knee is not flexible enough to handle the very steep big-boy steps.
| This was the ascent I chose not to tackle (Jasmine's photo) |
As we head up the Prince Regent River towards Kings Cascade, I reflect on my foresight in choosing a smaller boat. Not only because I didn't want a big crowd of passengers, but it can also go where the bigger boats can't go.
![]() |
| Skipper Nick noses the Reef Prince right up to Kings Cascade |
At Kings Cascade skipper Nick brought the Reef Prince up to within a couple of arm lengths of the falls, which was quite a remarkable experience and apparently not one every skipper will do.
The timing for the transit of this river system is important because there is a sandbar we need to cross.
The walking group set off and we are later shown the point at which they alight from the dinghy and scale the cliff. And I am not sorry that I chose the other option. The landing looks difficult enough and ascent looks most tricky - especially for one protecting a somewhat damaged ankle!
Our tenders for the scenic cruise leave a little later and we head towards the water fall and are delighted with the opportunity for the nose of the boat to poke into the falls and for those who thus choose there is a lovely cool shower.
We continue on up the river to Coronation Falls, en route spotting crocodiles, including a baby croc no more than about 12 in long. That was Desilee's good eyesight; She really is crocs spotter extraordinaire! Though the baby was not easy to photograph
| This one posed beautifully |
We pause at a flying fox colony and could hear it and smell it before we could see them.
Coronation Falls sits in a most amazing amphitheatre and is very scenic.
As we loitered there I suggested, to no-one in particular, that somebody needed to pour the champagne.
Within moments, Sarah, the skipper in the other tender, set out a row of glasses and poured bubbles and orange juice. Nothing like anticipating our every desire.
On the way back to the boat I did spot a small dolphin just breaking the surface with its characteristic curve.
Birds spotted on this excursion included a small flock of tern, a Brahminy kite and a pure white egret.
The return to the boat was wonderfully scenic. Those who did the walk and swim returned elated by their experience.
![]() |
| Prince Regent River scenic cruise |
After lunch, Jasmine some of the historical stories of the area, including the incident about 40 years previously where an American girl on a boat was taken by a croc at Kings Cascade. Jasmine used to tell these stories of an evening but apparently they caused nightmares! There must be something about a human ending up on the menu for an apex predator that stirs horror that must have its roots in the earliest eons of human existence.
Then we traversed Whirlpool Passage, a relatively narrow stretch of water up to 100 m deep, where confusion of tidal movements creates many whirlpools - of the take no prisoners variety - and these provided some of us with much fascination. The whirlpools did not photograph well, but phots did show some disturbance.
The primary afternoon activity, apart from Tinny doing part 1 of her sourdough making was a beach excursion for afternoon tea of mud crab - the mud crabs that were caught yesterday.
The crabs were delicious and of course accompanied by drinks, as per previous orders, which were taken ashore for us to enjoy.
![]() |
| Attractive beach washed shell, photographed before returning it to its environment |
I enjoyed some beachcombing and found some rather good shells.
![]() |
| Dingo print |
Back on the boat I photographed the shells and showed them to our artistic ladies before relocating most over the side.
![]() |
| Attractive beach washed shells, photographed before returning it to its environment |
I was socialising, but still caught the afterglow of the sunset before admiring moonlight illuminating the orange of the Kimberley cliffs as the short dusk faded.
Marcos, the chef, once again excelled himself with producing me a version of dinner which was comfortable for me to consume, albeit very mild. The menu was butter chicken with rice; and garlic naan bread which of course I could not eat.
After Jasmine's briefing for the next day, Tinny completed her lesson in sourdough making and while I would love to try it because it looks unbelievably delicious, I don't think it's a good idea.













Comments
Post a Comment