Swift Bay: Kimberley Day 5: beach walks, rock art and sunset drinks on the beach

 24th June 2026

Wanjina painting

Sundowner on the beach

We anchored about midnight and I awoke finding myself very hot and sweaty but also in the presence of a very strong aroma of diesel fumes in the cabin. 

The air conditioning is working better. Apparently they had locked the vents because the previous occupant of the cabin found it too cold.

Sometime after 5:00 there was people movement about. I'm guessing as the fisherman prepared for their early morning trip 

I had paid insufficient attention last night to the briefing and arrived late for breakfast but it didn't matter. There was still plenty to eat 

After a discussion with the girls about treatment of my washing adjourned to the top deck admired the paintings that Kathy and Bev were doing and then found my a favourite little position to sit and look at the beach, spot the fisherman and watch the helicopter. Come and go as those who chose it did the helicopter trip to Mitchell Falls. 

The chariot for those wishing to visit Mitchell Falls (additional cost approx $1K)

I tried to photograph the panorama before me but photos don't do it justice just as photos of so many places up here.don't really do it justice.

Nowhere near as good as the real thing

There has been dolphins playing around the boat for the last little while, but they have gone elsewhere 
The Third fishing party returned with a couple of large Spanish mackerel which we apparently will have for Lunch tomorrow 

Spanish mackerel will be on the menu

At 9:00 we were taken ashore for a beach walk. It was a delightful beach for beach combing with many different shells to be found, including some very large baler shells with which I was unfamiliar. A very large heart urchin, lots of cowries and cone shells.

Cowrie shells are always special!


One of the star snails, I think

The different areas of the beach seemed to yield different treasures with the higher levels being the repository of the larger specimens. I guess, from the spring tides.

Triton shell of some sort, I think

Crew member Leeuwin found a nautilus shell, which he had not seen before in the Kimberly. 

Baler Shell

As we watch the helicopter come and go on tours for Mitchell Falls. I notice that the sea is much more blue than it seems on some days.

Heart urchin

Eventually, after lunch, we start to move to our next location, Wollastan Island, and we hop into the tenders for a shore excursion to visit some more lovely rock art. The access to it is short, but the beginning a bit convoluted through a fantastical maze of rocks.

Part of the fantastical maze

We then we have rock art from multiple periods and styles. 

Gayarrra Wanjina painting

Gayarrra Wanjina painting (continuous with the previous one)




Fish!

The return from the rock art

After a brief return to the boat during which I change, from the long trousers I had worn for the hike, back to shorts. We returned to the beach for drinks and nibbles and sunset and a beach bonfire. 

Beach bonfire

The latter I found rather unnecessary in this climate but never mind. the bonfire was exciting for some.

A type of small conch, I think

I do find it necessary to do a little beachcombing - there are further treasures to be found!

Not all shells were unoccupied - lots of hermit crabs

Heart urchin

The sunset was again lovely and tonight different shades, some of which I suspect were enhanced by the bushfires which were evidence in the distance 


Reef Prince all lit up

There were some lovely rocks on the beach, with shades of pink in the sandstone layers 

Is it possible to have too many sunset photos?

Dinner was somewhat delayed and then afterwards we had Jessica's briefing about tomorrow and I decided to forgo the documentary and retire to bed. I think I am still substantially on Hobart time. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flying, Friends and Fire alarms

Dinosaurs and their Descendants

King George River: Kimberley Day 3